Free Entry and Special Events on August 25th mark the NPS Centennial
August 25, 2016 marks the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the National Park Service.
On this date 100 years ago, President Woodrow Wilson signed the act that created the federal agency dedicated to the preservation National Park System.
Caretakers of over 400 NPS units today, the service stands strong in its commitment…
”…to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wildlife therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for future generations.”
– NPS Organic Act August 25, 1916
Free, Fun Family Events at Cabrillo National Monument
“Cabrillo National Monument is San Diego’s national park and this is our day to shine!”
-Park Superintendent Andrea Compton
Cabrillo is open every day from 9:00am – 5:00pm. (Tidepools close at 4:30pm). FREE Entry August 25 – 28th, 2016
Schedule for August 25, 2016 at Cabrillo NM
- 9:30am – Presentation of colors and welcome message by Superintendent Compton
- 10:00am – Lighthouse Tower Open, no bag policy in effect
- 10:00am – Antique Vehicle Display
- 10:00am – Military History Open Bunker
- 10:30am – National Park System: Caring for the American Legacy
- 11:00am – Centennial Cake Celebration, while supplies last
- 11:30am – 100 years of Service, Highlighting National Park Service History
- 12:00pm – Lighthouse Postcard Painting
- 12:30pm – Memories, Growing up at the New Point Loma Lighthouse
- 1:30pm – Walkabout Cabrillo, Guided Park Tour
- 2:30pm – National Park Service Trivia
- 3:30pm – 100 years of Service, Highlighting National Park Service History
- Centennial Jr. Ranger Program, all day
- Ranger Talks and Guided Walks, every hour on the half hour beginning at 10:30am
A sampling of additional events is available on the National Park Service website, and many more can be found at FindYourPark.com and EncuentraTuParque.com.
Entrance Fees Waived for the NPS Birthday through the Weekend
Park entrance fees will be waived nationwide from August 25 through August 28 to encourage everyone to celebrate the NPS 100th birthday.
To continue the national park adventure beyond these entrance fee free days, purchase your $80 America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass allowing unlimited entrance to more than 2,000 sites, including all national parks, throughout the year! There are also a variety of free or discounted passes available for senior citizens, current military members, fourth grade students, and disabled citizens.