It has been a busy year for the Mid-Coast Trolley project! Staff members provided an update to the SANDAG Transportation Committee on October 16 and shared the latest accomplishments and milestones. Since receiving environmental clearance in fall 2014, achievements include:
- $150 million for project included in president’s recommended FY2016 budget
- Project accepted into Engineering by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) in spring 2015
- 65 percent design completed in April 2015
- Pre-construction activities underway (utility relocations, appraisals for right-of-way acquisitions)
- Cost estimate and schedule updated based on 65 percent design
Late this year, SANDAG will submit an application seeking a Full Funding Grant Agreement from the FTA New Starts program. Approval from the FTA, which would secure a 50 percent funding match for the project, is expected in late spring 2016, with construction starting in summer 2016.
Pre-Construction Activities Underway
Preparation for construction of the Mid-Coast Trolley project continues to move forward. Included in this effort will be the relocation of sewer and water pipelines to make way for the project. In mid-October, exploratory work along Morena Boulevard, Balboa Avenue, and Santa Fe Street began to identify the precise locations of these utilities. Relocations will begin in November 2015.
Construction activities include:
- Street excavations, potholing, and trenching
- Water and sewer pipeline installation along the entire length of Santa Fe Street, starting at Balboa Avenue
- Water pipeline installation on Balboa Avenue from I-5 ramp to Morena Boulevard
Temporary traffic controls will be in place along Morena Boulevard, Balboa Avenue, and Santa Fe Street, and access to nearby businesses will be maintained at all times. In addition, temporary water service interruptions will be necessary to complete this work. Residents and businesses will be provided with notice at least 5 days before any service interruption occurs.
The entire Mid-Coast Trolley project-related water and sewer utilities relocation work is anticipated to be complete in October 2016.
If you would like to receive Email updates with regards to this project visit this link for more information on the project and opt in with your email address for updates.