Last month the community representative from San Diego City Councilmember Chris Cate’s office, Maddy Garrett provided details regarding major planned improvements for Olive Grove Community Park at the monthly Clairemont Community Planning Group meeting.
According to documents the Scope of Work is vast including:
- Upgrade ADA path of travel from Printwood Way to the parking lot including existing curb ramps at the driveway.
- Upgrade path of travel to be ADA compliant path of travel from the parking lot to the playground, ball fields and comfort station
- Upgrade existing non-compliant accessible parking spaces and signage in the parking lot to be ADA compliant
- Redesign the existing Comfort Station to provide for four individual toilet rooms, sinks outside of the toilet rooms. Demolition, and alterations for toilet rooms, building interior and the exterior. Addition of decomposed granite in front of existing comfort station.
- A new trash enclosure
- Provide universal accessibility to play structures and swings
- Remove and replace rubberized surfacing. Add surfacing to provide full access to existing play structures and swings.
Replace existing drinking fountain near comfort station, and create an accessible path to location.
Add accessible furnishings including:
- One picnic table
- 7 trash receptacles
- One combined grill and hot coal receptacle
- Replace access gates with ADA compliant chain link gates
- Relocate dugout fence to meet ADA requirements
- Install one set of ADA compliant bleachers at each side of the backstop at the north field and replace existing bleachers with ADA compliant bleachers at the south field
- Remove and replace existing playground equipment and play surfacing
- New playground design will be provided with the existing playground footprint
- Existing sand and rubber surfacing will be removed and replaced with rubber surfacing throughout the entire play area
Repaving of the basketball courts and parking lot (overlay). Replace chain link gate at the basketball court, south side, with an ADA compliant galvanized chain link gate
Replace chain link gate at the fence between Olive Grove Park and Lafayette Elementary School with an ADA compliant galvanized chain link gate
Concrete sidewalk leading from park to shared gate shall be surveyed and replaced if not compliant with current ADA standards
Relocate accessible parking stalls to existing asphalt paving east of existing parking lot, create drop-off/turn around area
Replace main entrance driveway
The total project cost is $1,617,849 of which $1,230,000 is construction costs.
The schedule listed is a design end date of August 2019. The advertising and award start/end date for the project is scheduled for September 2019/March 2019. Construction is scheduled to begin April 2020 and end March 2021.