All Eastbound and Westbound Lanes of Friars Road Over SR-163 to Clouse for 36-Hours
Caltrans crews will close the eastbound and westbound lanes of Friars Road between Ulric Street and Frazee Road on Saturday, October 19 at 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday October 21 for pavement work. The closure includes the westbound and eastbound Friars Road on-ramps to northbound State Route 163 (SR-163) as well as the northbound SR-163 off- ramp to Friars Road. The southbound SR-163 off-ramp to westbound Friars Road will remain open.
During the 36-hour closure 10 portable changeable message signs will be placed to direct motorists around the closure.
Access to the westside of Friars Road:
- Northbound SR-163 to Genesee Avenue West off-ramp, to southbound SR-163 to Friars Road.
- Eastbound and westbound Interstate 8 (I-8) motorists: Use the above northbound SR-163 detour.
- Friars Road to southbound Mission Center Road, westbound on Camino De La Reina, northbound on Fashion Valley Road.
Access to the eastside of Friars Road:
- Northbound and Southbound SR-163 to eastbound I-8, to the Texas Street/Qualcomm Way off-ramp, continue north on Qualcomm Way to Friars Road.
- Eastbound and westbound I-8 motorists: Use the Texas Street/Qualcomm Way off-ramp, continue north on Qualcomm Way to Friars Road.
- Friars Road to southbound Fashion Valley Road, eastbound to Camino De La Reina, to northbound Mission Center Road.
An interactive map has been created at https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-11/current-projects/sr163-friarsrd. The interactive map provides detour routes for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists using local streets and for motorists using I-8 and SR-163.
Heavy traffic is expected on the side streets near Friars Road. Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should give themselves extra time to reach their destination.
Residents and businesses in the area will hear jackhammering and back-up alarms during this work. Caltrans staff apologizes for this inconvenience in advance.
The closure is part of the $40 million SR-163 Friars Road Interchange Improvement Project that is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.
For real-time traffic information including traffic speed, lane and road closures due to construction and maintenance activities, and more, go to http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/
Follow @SDCaltrans on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SDCaltrans and like Caltrans District 11 on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CaltransDistrict11 for news related to state transportation in San Diego and Imperial counties.