12th Graders at Clairemont High School are Seeking Internships
Would your company or organization like to get connected to the up-and-coming bright minds of the future workforce? We are looking for companies and organizations who would like to host an intern from the Academy of Business and make a difference in a young life.
The 12th grade students at Clairemont High School’s Academy of Business are qualified, motivated young people who are required to do field internships as part of their Regional Occupational Program (ROP) business class credit. We are looking to place 45 students in a meaningful internship in a professional work environment. Read on for some fast facts about the program and be sure to visit our Academy Internships Page
Students are released from their afternoon class, two to three days a week, to apply their skills in a professional setting. Internships are ideally 4-10 afternoon hours per week during the months of March – May. Internships are typically unpaid, though paid internships are always welcome.
Student Intern Qualifications:
The Academy students have taken classes in business, computers, and communications. They have had especially extensive practice in financial planning, investment, and entrepreneurship. Students are also trained in typing skills, Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint), Google applications (Google searches, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc.) and social media. In addition, students have taken seminars in business ethics, interpersonal communication techniques, oral presentation skills, and workplace etiquette.
Intern Placement Details:
- Internship Duration: 10 weeks
- Internship Start Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 / Internship End Date: Thursday, May 21, 2015
- Intern Availability: Most interns are available to work Tuesdays/ Wednesdays -OR- Wednesdays/ Thursdays leaving Clairemont High at 12:10 PM. Travel time to the internship is dependent upon location and transportation method.
- Intern Weekly Hours: Ideally, interns will work 4-10 hours per week
- Transportation: Students provide. (Free MTS public transit passes are provided by the district for students in need.)
- Liability: Workers’ Compensation covered by the school district for all unpaid internships
- Evaluation: Interns monitored weekly by business instructor, evaluated by site internship supervisor
4 Steps to Host an Intern:
(1) Find more info about the Academy Internship Program here.
(2) Fill out and return the online Intern Request Form (form also found on Academy webpage above). You will be contacted shortly after.
(3) Attend the Intern Supervisor Orientation Thursday, Feb. 26 at the Clairemont High Library from 11:15 AM – 12:00.
(4) Schedule Interviews or attend the Internship Interview Fair, Thursday Feb. 26 at Clairemont High, from 12:00 – 3:00 PM to interview potential interns (immediately following orientation above).